The first guests to visit the Club were 15 international students
During 5 days in our city guest students from Russia, Spain, Austria, Italy, Netherlands, Finland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Greece and Germany lived in the atmosphere of Belarusian youth life.
– Students of “Linguistic Support of Intercultural Communications” from the Faculty of History, Communication and Tourism told foreigners about the history of Grodno, organized excursions to the New Castle, got them acquainted with the University, held master-classes on Belarusian and English Languages, puppet crafting, Belarusian cuisine, Chinese gymnastics Qigong, - told Anna Inozemtseva, one of the faculty students. – Our guests attended Shrovetide celebration, together wished farewell to winter, took part in Russian folk dances and competitions, even took part in topical contests.
The culmination of the event was search quests in city center, organized by the students of History of Belarus, Archeology and Special Historical Disciplines department, and back-to-USSR party.
The working meeting of partners within “Library Network Support Services: Modernising of library staff development and reforming libraries / LNSS” project, which is being realized within Erasmus+ programe and co-financed by European Commission took place in Dresden University of Technology.
The delegation of Yanka Kupala State University of Grodno consisted of Nikolay Grinko, Director of Scientific Library and Project Coordinator, and Elena Knor, Head of the International Project Management Office.
During the meeting, partners from Belarus, Armenia, Moldova, Ireland, Romania, Germany and Greece analyzed the results of the first year of LNSS project realization, presented financial reports, discussed study modules, designed by universities, and results of pilot trainings on professional qualification of librarians.
– Special attention was paid to the planning of National Library Day, which will be held this year in every partner country. In Belarus, the event will be held on 19th May in Minsk at Belarusian State University. The organization of National Library Day is aimed at promotion of services and status of library in society, popularization or reading and knowledge, – explained Elena Knor.
Besides, within the meeting, colleagues from Dresden University of Technology set an excursion to the Saxon State and University Library (SLUB), which is situated at the university and is one of the largest libraries in Germany.
International technical assistance project “Library Network Support Services: modernising libraries in Armenia, Moldova and Belarus through library staff development and reforming libraries / LNSS” is one of 4 Erasmus+ programe projects, being implemented in Belarus in 2015-2017. Academy of Public Administration of Armenia is the coordinator of the project.
Within the LNSS there are implemented events on librarian retraining and reforming of library systems in Armenia, Moldova and Belarus.
Belarusian project partners are Belarusian State University, Yanka Kupala State University of Grodno, Academy of Public Administration under the Aegis of the President of the Republic of Belarus and Brest State Technical University.
European partners are Limerick Institute of Technology (Ireland), Transylvanian University (Romania), University of Crete (Greece) and The Pyramid Group (TPG) (Germany).
YKSUG project budget is 57 464 euro.
Bright flashmob took place on 24th February at the University Flag Square of YKSUG.
Students formed two sevens, which symbolized the 77th anniversary of Yanka Kupala State University of Grodno. Students warmheartedly congratulated alma mater with Birthday.
The event continued with concert. Yana Miliuk, Chairman of Student Coordination Board, spoke to YKSUG community.
– Today’s not only our University’s birthday, it is also Birthday for all of the students! – mentioned Yana. – On this solemn day I want to wish YKSUG big family swiftness in crossing obstacles, success, great mood and all the best!
The training lasted one semester within Erasmus+ academic exchanges programe.
Whilst in Warsaw School of Economics, Yuliya Haponik, Faculty of Economics of Yanka Kupala State University of Grodno, studied disciplines related to world trade and international business.
– The educational system at Polish university differs from one of ours. I’ve been mostly impressed with so called “null session”, during which students pass test exams. If a student manages to pass an exam with excellent mark, he won’t pass this exam again, - told Yuliya. During my exchange I not only managed to improve my English, but also improved conversational German and Polish.
A pleasant surprise for our student was a possibility to visit local “Facebook” building, where she got acquainted with latest developments of the company and traineeship possibilities. Besides, Yuliya visited Warsaw stock exchange, where she learned about trading procedure. A big presentation was conducted also by largest financial conglomerate «Goldman Sachs Group, Inc.».
Besides the study itself, the exchange was full of cultural and educational activities.
– During my stay in Poland I have also visited Krakow, commemorated World War II casualties in Auschwitz and Birkenau, also visited Wroclaw and Prague, – added оur student. –Erasmus+ – is a great experience of professional skill development, as well, as intercultural communication. All of this contributes to the quality training of modern specialists in the field of world economy.
More news from the Faculty of Economics and managemen there.
Staff and students of Yanka Kupala State University of Grodno took part in science & technology training in Belgium.
Besides YKSUG guests there were also participants from Belarusian State University, Belarusian State Technological University and Francisk Skorina Gomel State University.
– The training program included not only getting acquainted with the study process and scientific work of the Engineering Technologies Faculty of the Belgian university. We, as well, attended classes and presentations on solar energy, wind energy, fuel cells, optics, lasers and optical fibers, materials properties and electromagnetic compatibility – told us Vitaly Stiepuro, leading researcher of the R&D department. – Moreover, we were proposed to do laboratory works with optical fibers, bio-diesel synthesis, materials properties study and wind velocity measuring and its impact on dunes.
More news from Physico-Technical Faculty here.
In the updated ranking of Webometrics, published in early February of 2017, Yanka Kupala State University of Grodno is in the top 3 among Belarusian higher educational institutions.
Belarusian State University is still first in the national ranking of Webometrics, second place belongs to Belarusian National Technical University, our alma mater ranked third.
Moreover, Yanka Kupala State University of Grodno traditionally maintained its leading position among higher educational institutions of Grodno. So, Grodno State Medical University is in 7th place rating among the universities of Belarus, Grodno State Agrarian University occupies the 30th position.
According to the version of Webometrics in the top 10 Belarusian universities are:
1. Belarusian State University;
2. Belarusian National Technical University;
3. Yanka Kupala State University of Grodno;
4. Belarusian State University of Informatics and Radioelectronics;
5. Francisk Skorina Gomel State University;
6. Belarusian State Technological University;
7. Grodno State Medical University;
8. Vitebsk State Technological University;
9. Maxim Tank Belarusian State Pedagogical University;
10. Vitebsk State University named after P.M. Masherov.
It is also worth noting that in the ranking of institutional repositories Ranking Web of Repositories (Webometrics) electronic library "Works of scientists of Yanka Kupala State University of Grodno" ranked fourth among digital libraries of universities in the country (800 in the world rankings). In the first place in the ranking is traditionally the electronic library of BSU (135), in the second – repository of BNTU (470), in the third – BSEU (751).
Ranking Web of Universities (Webometrics Ranking of World Universities) was created in 2004 and during 12 years is calculated by research group Cybermetrics, part of the National Research Council of Spain. It assesses the representation and citation of the Internet not only universities, but also medical institutions, business schools, research centres and libraries belonging to the universities. The main rating criteria are considered to be the occupancy rate, the degree of support and popularity of the websites of the universities.
The main goal of the contract was strengthening of the friendship between Belarus and China, development of the cooperation between the universities, and training of specialists necessary for social and economic growth of both states, teaching staff exchanges and development of research activities
In particular, the universities should jointly train Bachelor and Master students, and also continue cooperation within student academic exchanges. The teaching staff of our alma mater would visit CQUT for training for the first time. Besides, the contract allows admission of students to the joint doctorate studies. After the successful completion of study program, graduates will get a higher education diploma, issued by the country where student studied the last 2 years.
As YKSUG authorities told, such contracts grant a variety of benefits to the University. First of all, it’s the opportunity for our alma mater to increase recognition within the world educational area, to become more competitive from the side of quality and the variety of provided educational services, improve University’s positions in world rankings and get to the brand new level of collaboration with foreign organizations and universities.
Moreover, joint training of bachelor, master and doctorate level IT-specialists had been discussed during the visit of Chonqing Univeristy of Technology delegation to YKSUG in November, 2016. During that visit, the delegation of CQUT and YKSUG authorities agreed on the respective contract.
As a result, the Chinese party addressed a letter of gratitude to the Rector, Andrei Korol, and the whole University, in which they admired coherence and consistency of the activities on broadening and widening of the cooperation between two higher education institutions.
Yanka Kupala State University of Grodno and Chongqing University of Technology have been involved into long-time relations, which were developing for the past five years. The official partnership of two universities had begun on February 1st, 2013, when the memorandum of understanding of cooperation in the field of student academic exchanges on a parity basis. In June, 2016 represents of CQUT visited YKSUG, and they got acquainted with the University and agreed on the widening of the fields of cooperation at that time.
In May, 2014, the delegation of YKSUG, headed by the Rector, Andrei Korol, visited Chongqing University of Technology. During the lots of meetings with CQUT authorities, they discussed issues of long-term mutually profitable cooperation, including joint training of specialists.
During five-year partnership, 13 students of YKSUG conducted studying at CQUT. At their turn, students of CQUT were given a possibility to study Russian language at YKSUG as a parity exchange. Some of them continued their education as Master students, and then as doctorate students of YKSUG.
Russian Language Winter School started at Yanka Kupala State University of Grodno for the second time. The first week appeared quite eventful for the foreign guests.
Since the first days in Grodno, visitors from Poland, France and Germany continued mastering the knowledge of Russian language. Lecturers of the Belarusian and Foreign Citizens Language Training Department conducted topical classes, where listeners of the Pre-University Training Faculty participate as well.
During next days the guest visited St. Francis Xavier Cathedral, where Canon Jan Kuchynski welcomed them. After the words of one of the RLWS participants, Gwendal Pege, doctoral student in historical sciences from France, he was particularly impressed with architecture of the Cathedral, the famous 21m altar of 18th century, unique sculpture compositions, its frescoes and catholic icons.
– A pleasant discovery it was to me, that the Cathedral had been named after my compatriot, a missionary and great martyr – St. Francis Xavier, – told us the listener from France.
Foreign RLWS listeners attended a lecture on the culture of Belarus by Serhey Donskikh, Head of the Tourism and Cultural Heritage Department, with great pleasure. And the Belarusian cuisine making master class conquered all hearts. Listeners with volunteers and lecturers of the RLWS together were making kutya for the holyday of the Epiphany. Participants of RLWS performed well in “Russian karaoke” selective course, which is being organized for the second year at the department of language training of Belarusian and foreign citizens. During the course foreigners discovered Russian tongue-twisters and sang some songs in Russian, including famous “Katyusha”. And, of course, our guests attended various leisure venues of Grodno together with volunteers.
– We finished the first week of the RLWS with traditional meeting night, which is being organized for the 3rd time at the Faculty of Pre University training of YKSUG, – told Tatsiana Cherkes, senior lecturer of department of language training of Belarusian and foreign citizens. – The event gathered not only foreigners, who came to the RLWS, but also listeners of the faculty and alumni, as well.
Yury Romanovksy, the Dean of the Faculty of Pre-University Training, arranged a game, where guests had to quickly solve mathematical problem. The swiftest one was Liu Xinyue. During the meeting night participants told about themselves, their hobbies and homelands. Besides, there were vocal performances, most of which were sang in Russian language.
Chinese diplomatic mission, with Cui Qiming, the ambassador of the People’s Republic of China to the Republic of Belarus, at the head visited Grodno within the celebration of 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Belarus and China. Solemn arrangements took place on 21st January, 2017.
During the celebration, the State Song and Dance Theater of Gansu Province performed before the residents of Grodno, while at the New Grodno Castle opened the exhibit of Chinese traditional painting by Marina Elyashevich. The latter had been attended by the listeners of the Faculty of Pre-university Training and students of Yanka Kupala State University of Grodno.
– It is a holiday for us, the students from China, as we can hear our native language right here, in Grono. We had an impression we were in little China during the celebration, – shared his impressions Liu Xinyue, listener of the Faculty of Pre-university training. – In addition, it was a pleasure for us to speak and make photos with Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of China to Belarus Cui Qiming
University-wide competition of designing the logo of the territory of visa-free entry and exit of foreign citizens "GrodnoVisaFree" and local brand "Avgustov Canal" was announced for the first time. The Department of Sport and Tourism of Grodno Oblast Executive Committee was the co-organizer of the competition.
The jury met In January to evaluate versions submitted by staff, university and college students. They were more than 50. The jury included representatives of Grodno Oblast Executive Committee, Faculty of Art and Design, Information and Analysis Center, Public Relations Center, Education Internationalization Centre, The Belarusian Republican Youth Union and Student Trade Union Committee of the University.
– The main evaluation criteria were the uniqueness, originality, quality of submitted work, adequate content presentation, adaptability, scalability, technical execution, the depth of the topic and creativity, – said the organizers of the competition.
Following the meeting, the jury selected four versions which will soon be presented to Grodno Oblast Executive Committee. Tatiana Ledyaeva the Deputy Head of Department of Sports and Tourism of Grodno Oblast Executive Committee explained that original, easily recognizable logo and brand will be used in promotional activities and in the creation representative production of the Department.
The logo contest of the territory of visa-free entry and exit of foreign citizens "GrodnoVisaFree" and local brand "Avgustov Canal" is aimed at enhancing the innovative creative thinking of young people, involving them in the decision of tasks of socio-economic development of the region, cross-border tourism and promoting tourist heritage.